Tuesday 1 February 2011

First paper session

Last week we had our first session with richard Sweeney where he was showing us how to make different forms out of just paper.
Here are some examples of his work. I was amazed at what he could make just by folding and manipulating paper. His work is so intricate and reminds me a lot of natural forms.




I had never made anything like this before in my studies however his enthusiasm inspired me to give it a go. We started with rather small pieces of paper and were able to cut or score using our scalpels but we were not allowed to use adhesive. 
Here are my results... Maybe not as successful as Richard Sweeney's just yet!










The last couple of pictures are close ups of my work and I thought I would include them as I really like the shadowing on the paper. I really enjoyed working with paper and seeing what forms I could make with it. At the moment it's all trial and error as I kind of stumble upon making an interesting form where as I know Richard Sweeney sometimes knows what forms he wants to make with the paper before he starts folding. I think I need some more practice before I set out specifically to make a certain form! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment