Tuesday 1 February 2011

Second paper session

Today we had another paper session with Richard Sweeney. He showed us some more tips and techniques to use when manipulating paper. He set us a more challenging task today as he told us how to cut the paper and then we had to create a form with it.
He told us to:

  • Get an A3 piece of paper then fold it in half vertically
  • draw a 15 mm border around the folded piece of paper 
  • From the border mark each cm on both vertical sides
  • use a ruler and scalpel to cut horizontally at each cm mark so there becomes a lot of slits in the paper
  • Cut the paper where it was folded in half and this creates 2 pieces of paper to experiment with

It was easier to understand when we had a visual demonstration but I thought I would write down some sort of instructions to remind me! 
When I had done this (which I found difficult to do anyway) I had to bend and play with the paper for quite a while before I made any sort of form I was vaguely happy with. I found this task more complex but the outcome I found more rewarding as it is more detailed than my previous paper form attempts. 
There was a variety of different outcomes within our group. I liked how we all did the same things to our paper at the start but everyone's final form looked completely different. I have started to notice that I like forms made from curves rather than straight edges or folds. Using curves makes the form not look as restricted and you can create forms that look very natural. I have also found that not being precious with my work and trying different things can make good results.

Here is what I managed to make today:







I am pleased with how it turned out and I liked how it was quite different to everyone else's as it is quite circular and a lot of people's forms were cylindrical. It reminded me of a flower like this one:


I wanted to base my paper forms on something natural so I am thinking about basing my project on different types of flowers. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment