Tuesday 22 March 2011

Rayograms- First Photography Session

We had our first photography session today on Rayograms. We got shown how to make one from a photo negative and also by just putting the objects on the photo paper. We were then shown how to process our photographs the traditional way with the develop, stop and fix baths and also using a machine. Using the baths takes longer
I found it all really interesting because I had never done any thing like it before but it was a lot to take in!
Here are some words I remember from the session:
Aperture 
Focus
Develop 
Stop 
Fixer 
emulsion
Resin
Fibre paste
Negatives
Waterfall
Exposure
F stops


Next week we need to bring in some objects that we can photograph. So I did some research into rayograms for some inspiration.

These rayograms are by Liudmila Timofeeva. they were for a project called: Rayograms: lines, shapes and a little bit of mystery. 





I can work out what most of the objects are but there are a few I can't- I guess it adds to the mystery. I like how each object has different mid tones and has a completely different effect. I really like the effect the net makes as it exposes the pattern but not the holes in it.  I also like the spikey thing which I am guessing is some kind of plant (a dandelion maybe?) because I like how striking the bright whiteness is compared to the mid tones in the fossil leaf.


Here is also a slide show of some rayograms:


This again gave me a few ideas of my own. A lot of the photos are composed well in the slideshow for instance, there is an image combined with appropriate text. I think they have photographed printed images and stencils too which make a more intricate image. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment