Saturday 23 April 2011

Rotoscopy- Lunamation

Kid Dream -The Jessica Stuart Few from Evan DeRushie on Vimeo.


I found this video and thought it was really interesting as each frame looks different as if it had been drawn different on purpose. I wasn't sure how it was done so I found a video explaining it:



Basically, a film is took of whatever you want animated and then it is printed out frame by frame and people trace the frames and then all frames are put together in a stop motion sequence.
For this animation they used over 70 volunteers to draw each frame and because everyone has their own individual drawing style and subliminally choose what they want to trace, every frame looks different.

I think the outcome is really unusual and interesting. This appeals to me more than cell animation as I like how they are explicitly showing in the animation that they are made from drawings where as most traditional cell animation is about trying to get the animation as fluid and realistic as possible without drawing attention to the drawing technique.

0 comments:

Post a Comment